Thursday, December 2, 2010

Hamburger Gravy

I first married at nearly 20 and hadn't paid much attention to the food my mother made using the palms of her hands as measurements.  I found myself on the phone asking her for this recipe. I was desperate for a taste of home and needed to know how to make something my young ones could eat. This has been a family favorite for years. It can be served over toast, white rice, or mashed potatoes. Last night, with the help of leftovers, I served up all three!

1 pound hamburger
salt
pepper
garlic
onion
(all to taste)
3 tsp Better Than Bullion Mushroom
3.5 TBSP Corn starch
3 Cups water

In our family, I used the powdered form of onion and garlic because I have two that hate the texture. This dinner is one I make on those busy, long days when we need it simple and without complaints at night. Why push the onions? Better Than Bullion is one of the rare gluten-free bullions...don't use the Aus Juis flavor, though! (Always check the label.)

Brown the beef in a skillet over medium heat. Add seasonings to taste. Sprinkle corn starch over browned meat. Stir until coated. Add water. Let simmer until the corn starch turns from opaque to "clear" and of gravy thickness. TIP: If you like your gravy thicker, stir another tablespoon of corn starch into a quarter cup of cold water and then add it to the hot mixture. This prevents LUMPS. (And no one likes lumpy gravy.)

We served this up with canned green beans and grated mozarella for those who wanted the cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment