Saturday, January 1, 2011

Saucy Chicken from Karen's Cafe

This isn't the first recipe I've "copied" by using my tongue and I'm sure it won't be the last.  James and I went to a Christmas Eve Cocktail party nearly starving and found ourselves walking up 25th Street from Union Station in search of good food.  Our favorite place is closed on Monday nights, so we ducked into the first place that didn't have "coffee" in the title.  Karen's Cafe is a delicious little spot featuring country music, good ole home cookin', and the coolest iron sculptured cowboys salt and pepper holders.  (Wish I'd carried my camera.) 

Ingredients

Karen's Sauce

Vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, smashed and diced
1 Walla Walla onion, sliced in rings
1 Green Bell pepper, chopped in chunks
1/2 pint sliced mushrooms
1 can Stewed, Diced tomatoes
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of pepper

Heat to medium a large frying pan, drizzle some oil and add garlic and onions.  Cook until onions are clear.  Add the rest of the ingredients.  Simmer to allow flavors to blend.  Then begin the chicken.

2 lbs. Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Salt
Olive oil

Spray cast iron skillet with oil.  (Use the grooved side to sear lines into meat.)  Heat on medium high until skillet is fully heated, lay breasts on skillet.  Cook 5-7 minutes on both sides (or until cooked through).  Serve chicken with a heaping ladel full of sauce.  Enjoy!

When I was recreating this recipe, I missed out on the ketchup and the flavor wasn't quite there.  I've never added ketchup to ANYTHING, but it's amazing what it does to both thicken the sauce and clinch the distinctive flavor on your tongue. 

p.s...leftovers make for an AWESOME Saucy Chicken Pizza

No comments:

Post a Comment